Walter Bright wrote:
The D compiler source doesn't use any templates, rtti, or clever macro hacks. Whether it's well designed or not, I'll let others decide. It is written in a "D-ish" style.

I ported part of the DMDFE to Java, and found it quite well-designed (with the exception of the frequent use of globals). The gotos make it more readable IMO (compare the original to the Java version where gotos are replaced with exceptions, replaced with duplicated code, emulated with a bunch of booleans, or refactored into separate functions taking 7+ arguments).

However, the DMDFE's organization relies on being able to declare class member functions separately from where they're defined, which is impossible in D (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).