On 2010-09-17 01:46, Michel Fortin wrote:
<http://michelf.com/weblog/2010/dobjc-dead-end-start-anew/>

The D/Objective-C bridge is a project that was aiming at making Cocoa
usable from D.

It's somewhat similar to QtD. The timing of this announcement isn't
entirely coincidental with today's announcement about QtD: my
announcement was ready, QtD's was the trigger for my Publish button.
Even though the problems are probably quite different between the two
projects, they both share a common need for runtime-reflection, playing
with the object model from another language, static initialization from
within mixins that shouldn't create circular module dependency, and
probably a couple others.

Are referring to the need for calling a static method on a class that should be able to be loaded from a nib? In that case have you tried, at runtime, inspecting the symbol table in the loaded binary and getting the address to the necessary functions and calling them.

It is my feeling that for dealing with Objective-C, things will be much
cleaner by working directly inside of the compiler. D templates are
fabulous, and I'm quite amazed that I could do what I did, but the
bridge creates just too much generated code to make the whole thing
usable. So I think it's time for a new approach.

I noted this as well, it creates an insanely amount of code. I also noted that compiling as a dynamic library reduces the size about 50%.

I've actually been working on my own implementation of an Objective-C/D bridge based on your blog posts and documentation. I've never released or announcement anything but I have a project at dsource: http://dsource.org/projects/dstep . I started this before your bridge supported DMD because of no support for DMD or Tango and I was not happy with the GPL license. I also added small enhancements in some places.

I also have ruby scripts (based on bridgesupprt) for automatically creating bindings with results that are ok but not perfect. I was thinking about create a tool using Clang and hopefully have a completely automatic process when creating bindings.

What would you say about working together on an Objective-C/D bridge?

--
/Jacob Carlborg