On 07.10.2010 23:59, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Stephan Soller"<stephan.sol...@helionweb.de>  wrote in message
On 07.10.2010 14:56, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Stephan Soller"<stephan.sol...@helionweb.de>   wrote in message

[1]: http://arkanis.de/

Not to complain, just FYI, this is what that page looks like for me:

http://www.semitwist.com/download/arkanis1.png
http://www.semitwist.com/download/arkanis2.png
http://www.semitwist.com/download/arkanis3.png

Interestingly, if I turn JS on, than it'll look a lot better *until* it
finishes loading, at which point it goes back to looking just like those
screenshots.

Thanks for the screenshots. May I ask which version of Firefox (if I see
that correctly) your're using

v2.0.0.20

Which actually kinda surprises me because I could have sworn I was on a much
later version of the 2.x line. I *know* there was a period where it kept
updating itself seemingly all the time (which got quite irritating when I
just wanted to go to a particular URL). But I guess that must have been the
only 2.x version I was able to find after giving up on FF3. And IIRC, the
built-in update won't let me update to anything less than FF3.

And yea, I know FF2 is really old, but I tried 3.0 and 3.5 and the JS was
only marginally faster, it doesn't seem to fix any of the rendering bugs
I've come across in FF2 (I have 3.5 on my Linux box, just for site testing),
and every other change they made I hated and downloaded extentions to
undo...until I realized there was no extention to un-unify the unified
forward/back buttons (which I had thought was a good idea when IE7 came
out -- until I actually used IE7), and realized the only winestripe-like
things for FF3 weren't nearly as good as the real winestripe. So I figured
"Why bog it down with even *more* addons just to turn it into a half-baked
FF2, when I can just use the real FF2?" YouTube bitches to me about it, but
well, fuck YouTube; never liked having over-compressed videos pre-embedded
into a web-based player anyway.

Maybe you should consider looking into some other browsers? Opera, Chrome and other Gecko based browsers might give you a better experience that the newer Firefox versions. This is the reason why there are different browsers after all.

Staying with FF2 for to long might really hurt your browsing experience since quite a bunch of functionality was added to the browsers itself lately. And trust me, it's really way easier to use the new stuff than all the old workarounds (e.g. webfonts, svg, css based animations, transparency, dropshadows, video, and the list goes on...). I really expect many people to use this stuff in the near future, not only because it's cool but mainly because it's so much easier than the old stuff.

I've seen people holding on to Netscape 4 because they didn't like the newer versions. They could endure a surprising amount of totally broken pages but the internet wasn't fun for them. Fortunately we have a lot more alternatives today. :)

The JS stuff is quite interesting since the page actually does not use JS
at all. The only situation where JS should actually be involved is for IE
(because you need to introduce unknown elements to IE before using them).
I'm not aware that any version of Firefox interprets IE conditional
comments (although there was talk about it once) so this behavior is
somewhat concerning.

Don't worry. Turns out it was just a quirk caused by one of the million
add-ons I have installed to make the web bearable. When I disabled all of
them, the behavior and results with JS on were exactly the same as with JS
off.

However this page uses quite new and still in progress browser stuff
(HTML5, CSS3) so it'll give old browsers a very hard time. It's more like
a showcase for the new stuff.

I see, that explains it. Personally, I'll have no interest in CSS3 unless MS
decides to backport IE9 to XP. I hate Win7 and refuse to let XP die
(Granted, Win7's not quite as bad as Vista, but it's close).

Take a look at [this screenshot][1] to see how it's supposed to look like.
It was made with font antialiasing on a standard TFT but the text might
look a bit awkward on CRTs or TFTs with a different subpixel layout
(usually the OS takes care of that when rendering text). There's also the
[design prototype][2] which does not use the "new" techniques. It should
work on your browser (at least most stuff, I never IEified it nor did
extensive cross browser testing since it's only a prototype).

[1]: http://arkanis.de/projects/arkanis-development-v3/ubuntu.png
[2]: http://arkanis.de/weblog/2008-05-25-modern-ambience-design-prototype/

And finally there's also the [old design][3] which works in IE 5.5, 6 and
7 (ditched 4, 5, and 5.01 and I'm not sure about 8). It took about two
weeks to make it work in IE 5.5 and 6 if I remember correctly.

[3]: http://arkanis.de/projects/arkanis-development-v2/photo-ambience/

Ahh. Yea, all of those do look better :) Actually, even I've ditched IE6
(it's *that* old). 'Course, part of that is because having multiple versions
of IE installed is a PITA - if even possible at all. In fact, that's why I
haven't upgraded to IE8 - I'd lose the ability to test on IE7 which I think
is still fairly common.

Actually you could run IE 5 up to 6 on one WinXP. You only needed a couple of DLLs and the iexplorer.exe of the corresponding IE version. The [Evolt browser archive][1] provided these nice standalone versions of IE. I used it for a long time since it is considerably faster than using VMs but I'm not sure if this still works with IE 7 and 8. Because of that I switched to VMs a few years back (one VM for IE 6 on XP, one for IE 8 on XP which will give you IE 7 by using the compatibility mode and one for IE 8 on Win7 because of the fonts).

[1]: http://browsers.evolt.org/

Happy programming
Stephan