On 07/10/2011 01:33 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

For reasons that are a mystery to me, the same text on the same
operating system on the same display will render much nicer as a pdf
than in a browser.

This is true for Windows/IE as well as Ubuntu/Firefox.

It's why I gave up on using a browser to display my presentations, and
now use pdf's. Projecting a browser display on a screen is cringeworthy
bad.

Were you using the same fonts in the browser as the PDF? Personally, I've never had a problem reading the fonts in my browser versus PDF. What I really hate about PDF is that it doesn't flow and doesn't respect my viewing preferences -- which is fine for printed paper, but sucks for reading on a myriad of devices.