I don't think the current approach to generating PDFs is good - it's essentially
using a bridge for generating PDF from HTML.

What we need is a set of macros to generate TeX from ddoc followed by
compilation. That will produce beautiful PDF files. I'll get to that once the
Kindle pipeline is finished.

BTW we can choose the page size to be different from 8.5*11, but indeed
reflowing is not possible.

I think the pdf should be set at 8.5*11 so it will serve as the version of the document most suitable for printing.