On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 15:59:48 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
That's not good (and I don't mean because of the JS - it's always possible to have non-JS fallback). This is a classic case of narrowly optimizing for one specific metric (ie, getting a consistent words-per-line) instead of always keeping an eye on the big picture. The problem this creates is that font sizes become too uncontrolled:
The font sizes aren't uncontrollable if every font-size/width/height/etc uses em as unit. You must use a elastic layout to make it work.

First of all, shrinking the window *should* re-flow the text, not cause it to be too small to read. A shorter line length is *much* better than tiny text.
If you looked at my code, you'll see that I never set the body font-size below 100% (the example given in the link doesn't take that problem into account). This way, the line length is maintained unless the font become too small.

Second, I tried the example:

http://jaredstein.org/resources/stein/js/fonter.html

The text on that page (when I have JS on) is so enormous, that I actually have a *very* hard time reading it. Much, much harder than reading really long lines. I have to go messing around with my browser's window size just to make it readable. I shouldn't have to do that, I've never had to do that before, and honestly, who would ever even *think* to do that?
There's several reasons why you have difficulties to read the text:
1. You're standing too close to the screen.
2. Black text in white background (my eyes become tired after a long reading period because of this).
3. You're not used to it.
Besides, the web dev can change the ratio between the font-size/window.width, making the text a little smaller/bigger.

Yea, you *could* clamp the max and min font sizes, but it's really just a goofy approach overall. There's a reason that desktop apps never scale by messing with font size. Consistent controlled font size just turns out to be more important than consistent line length. You're much better off just using the CSS "max-width" (or something like that, I forget the exact name) and maybe "min-width", both specified in em of course.

In any case, this is one of the reasons I hate the modern web. On the user's side, content and view have become completely married together. That's a *huge* step backwards. Thanks to a very large effort put into standard file formats and general computer-to-computer interop, it used to be that any content could be viewed in any program, any UI, any style, any anything the *user* wanted. We had achieved a computing golden age! But once things moved to the web, that got completely thrown out the window as interface is now inseparably *bundled* with content once again (and vice versa - content comes inseparably bundled with the interface). While model-view separation is popular among webdevs, that separation exists completely on the developer's side, not the user's side. Of course in this particular case, it's not quite so bad because there's lots of different interfaces to the same NNTP server, but still...
Check out this: http://axr.vg/