On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:53:55 -0000, Vladimir Panteleev <vladi...@thecybershadow.net> wrote:

On Sunday, 19 February 2012 at 16:16:29 UTC, bearophile wrote:
I don't understand how you can claim that it takes up vertical space when it's alongside the post. The only case where it would waste vertical space is when the post is a few lines long.

I meant there is a empty vertical rectangle, it steals a rectangular surface. Doing so steals both vertical and horizontal space.

This layout is used by nearly all web forum software. It was chosen to be familiar to people used to those forums.

How would you design the layout?

I've not see a web forum do this yet, but I guess ideally the message text would flow around the image as you often see in newspapers and magazines. That way lines of message text below the bottom of the image would be full width and not have a large image width margin on them, if you see what I mean.

Regan