I've been working on decoders for simple (baseline) JPEG and PNG's, mostly for my own amusement, and they seem to work ok now, so if anyone has need of some simple D modules to load these formats you can grab them here:
https://github.com/callumenator/imaged

Notes:
- Will load 8-bit baseline sequential JPEG's only. All PNG image types are supported (only critical chunks are decoded however). - Can load from a stream or a file. In the case of the PNG's, this allows progressive display with an interlaced image. - I haven't put much effort into speeding up these routines, and have not tested the JPEG decoder extensively, so there are bound to be bugs and there is plenty room for improvement. - The example shows stream usage, and uses Adam Ruppe's simpledisplay to make a little viewer, that can flick through all images in a directory.

Cheers,
cal