On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:39:04 -0700, Iain Buclaw <ibuc...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 16 July 2012 18:31, Adam Wilson <flybo...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:21:39 -0700, Iain Buclaw <ibuc...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 16 July 2012 14:00, Marco Leise <marco.le...@gmx.de> wrote:

Am Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:51:16 -0700
schrieb "Adam Wilson" <flybo...@gmail.com>:

As it shows, the beta phase doesn't always catch all regressions in
people's code, so I encourage you to do this project and eventually it will be used by GDC and other major from-source projects. By the way: Should this also later become the base for the official zip file download? IIRC Walter
wanted to keep track of the DMD downloads from the main web site (no
redistribution) and hotfixed versions of D could become increasingly
popular.

--
Marco

And what benefits would GDC get from opting to use this rather than
the normal releases?

The main benefit I could see is the faster cycle focusing on bugs. I don't know what GCC's release cycle is (something tells me it's pretty glacial),
but for any users of your Git-HEAD code, the bug fixes could certainly
appear faster.

It's roughly once a year, maybe a little less.  Depends on
regressions, open bugs, etc.

In other words, glacial. :-) But, if it's of interest to you to use the stable releases as a basis for GDC we wouldn't mind.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender