On Wednesday, January 02, 2013 13:18:02 Walter Bright wrote:
What is the rationale behind import/export of address books, and not doing
that for anything else?

I don't know. kmail has basically the same problem. It drives me nuts that you
can't export accounts. It makes setting up a new machine a royal pain when you
have something like a dozen different e-mail addresses to set up. So, I always
try and copy the config files, but I've only figured out which ones those are
via
trial and error, and sometimes things get screwed up enough that you just have
to start from scratch again, which is no fun at all. Being able to export
accounts would be a _huge_ gain.

The most miserable of all is Microsoft Outlook Express, which stores all the info in hidden directories that are down a long chain of paths filled with directory names that are GUID identifiers.

Then, the mail files themselves are in some secret binary format.

I had some back and forth with MS support on that, as I was trying to restore my OE email from a backup image. They were genuinely mystified why I would ever want to save/restore my email data. I told them I was never going to use OE again because of that issue, which baffled them further.

Fortunately, TB was able to automatically import the OE mail files. Why TB cannot automatically import TB files is another baffling mystery.