On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 06:30:33 UTC, Rob T wrote:

A really important advantage that scripting languages provides that D does not currently provide, is direct runtime interpretation of the language. This is very important for the use cases of script languages such as Ruby and PHP, because often they are used for coding and testing on the fly, ie., used in an environment that requires frequent changes with almost instant feedback.

This is true. On the other hand, if you do quick and dirty stuff (count the frequency of certain words, parse data files etc.), the compilation time is not really an issue, and due to unnecessarily ugly syntax (PHP, Perl) or indentation (t)errors (Python) you sometimes lose time, or cannot just copy and paste snippets to test them without checking your spaces.

[...]

A language such as C++ seems like a bad fit for a scripting language because of it's complexity and the difficultly with parsing through it. Also a scripted language probably should not have low level access that is provided by languages such as D and C/C++.

--rt

Why not? In my experience small scripts often turn into bigger programs and sooner or later you need some sort of low level features. Then you have to write modules in C/C++ and use Swig or something to integrate them. That's why I prefer D, because you can get the whole shebang _if necessary_. There are also copyright issues. If you deliver a Python program, anyone could rip it, even if you compile it to byte code. If you distribute native executables, it's harder to rip your program. In general, I find scripting languages less useful for projects that (might) develop into something bigger. Now that I come to think of it, scripting languages are inherently "quick and dirty", that's why they are not really scalable (think of the class system in Python and Lua, not the real deal).