On 6/14/2014 9:02 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
Not really, the standard library is included into user code (because of
the templates), and that's the reason why it needs to be under a very
permissive license. The compiler, on the other hand, doesn't, and one
could agree is good to force people wanting to build products using the
compiler FE to contribute changes back. I guess the main purpose of this
is encourage proprietary tools based on the FE, but if that's the case,
there are better licenses for this, like the LGPL, which let proprietary
tools to link code against the DMD FE without having to release their
code under a free license.

Yes, it allows people to use DMDFE for whatever they want, including closed source proprietary tools.

I understand very well how upsetting someone taking your code, creating a CSPT and making money off of it without acknowledging you or contributing back to it. This happened to me with my game Empire. It's a long and convoluted story, and I won't bore you with it, just suffice to say I am not a stranger to how you feel about it.

But D is different from a game in that it has network effects - the more adoption it gets, the more momentum for adoption it accrues. By giving up a slice of the pie the pie more than grows enough to compensate.

In other words, the D community still gains even if there are a few CSPTs made from the front end.