On Saturday, 14 June 2014 at 17:07:58 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
No free license restrict commercial use. What using boost enable is only proprietary use, i.e. changing the DMD FE and keeping the changes private, even if you distribute the binary with the compiled DMDFE. As I said before, there are licenses that allow anyone linking your code to non-free code, but you still have to provide the source code of the
modified DMDFE if you distribute it. An example is LGPL.

The frontend was dual-licensed under the Artistic license, which also allows such proprietary use, so nothing has really changed. Rather than having two licenses, the Artistic license to allow linking against the proprietary dmd backend and the GPL to allow linking against the gcc backend, the dmd frontend now has a single Boost license that allows both, since the Boost license is considered GPL-compatible.

From the standpoint of what the frontend's license allows, not much has changed, but the simplicity and clarity of the Boost license puts the frontend on firmer footing.

I realize you prefer the LGPL, to force others to contribute back to the frontend if they modify and distribute it, but the Boost license is much simpler and as Walter points out, proprietary use can help D's adoption.