On Wednesday, 20 August 2014 at 22:02:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 August 2014 at 21:43:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/20/2014 2:33 PM, anonymous wrote:
Dlang Dlang Über Alles

as a German, O_O

I'm not surprised that the German programming community has taken to D. After all, German cars all have those "D" stickers on them :-)

No, no, "Dlang Dlang Über Alles" is a take on "Deutschland
Deutschland über alles" (Germany Germany over everything), the
first verse of the national anthem as sung in Nazi times.

While I agree with the historical significance, there are some things to be straighten:

1) the song was used even before: it was the national anthem of the Weimar republic, the one that Nazi toppled 2) today, it's third stanza (the first one begins with "DDuA") is still the official anthem of Deutschland 3) there is no official interdiction of the first two stanzas, except that they are not really protected by the German law punishing offenses to the national symbols of Germany