On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 07:56:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 07:06:57 UTC, eles wrote:

convenient inlining and operator overloading. So people use it

For me, what it would be really nice to have in C from C++ would be templates.
And from D, that scope().

I bet D would have been slimmer if it had been part of a OS project, but my gut feeling is that it is more work to slim down D than C++. I think D would greatly benefit from a high level IR that various "D dialects" could compile to. Then analyse the high level IR to determine what the runtime requirements are.

The problem with starting designing (and implementing) frameworks instead of languages is that you have to keep up with everything and to never cease expanding. New needs will appear, new paradigms (platforms, distributed systems and so on) and you will have to play the game.

It is OK to provide extensive standard library, but not put too much into the language (and, for me, the druntime shall be seen as part of the language, not of the framework).

But, still. Even Java and C# have a separation between the language and the framework, more than, for example, Go has.