On 10/05/2014 04:54 AM, eles wrote:
On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 11:12:12 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 07:43:54 UTC, eles wrote:
update-manager -d

It works.

Does it perform package upgrade? The comments are rather scary:
---
Hi, I have installed Linux mint 15 with Mint4Win as Dual boot with
Windows 7.
Then upgraded it to Mint 16 and it was running fine.
But when I upgrade to Mint 17 (Qiana), after restarting the partition
loop0 (or loopback0 or something like that) fails to load.
It shows an error like, Press I to ignore, S to skip or M for manual
recovery.

Hi,

A bit of news here, as just updated my knoledge about Linux Mint & Linux
Mint Debian Edition.

In short, from this discussion and its comments:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/08/upcoming-lmde-2-to-be-named-betsy/

Linux Mint Debian abandons its (semi-)rolling model and will basically
become just a kind of Ubuntu, but based on Debian Stable (Ubuntu, AFAIK,
is based on Debian Unstable). The will require full-upgrades every 2
years, but the upgrades shall be smooth (no reinstall required). For two
years, you will not need to do such upgrade, just the basic security
upgrades and some updates (mainly browser and email clients).

Linux Mint, starting from version 17, marks a departure from previous
releases (this is why you migh have encountered difficulties in
upgrading) by keeping the same code base (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) for the next
5 years. So, during this time, it will basically be a
rolling-distribution, as some software will get updated just as regular
(security fixes etc.) happens. Probably, after those 5 years, they will
change the code base to the next Ubuntu LTS, which will start a new
5-years long upgrade.

Very interesting. This is pretty major news for Mint. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's certainly worth knowing. Glad you posted.

One piece of advice: Debian Testing might seem (by the name) more secure
than Debian Unstable. The truth is that the latter is more up-to-date
and receives security fixes first (they are entering the Debian Unstable
first, then they are pre-validated before going in Debian Testing).
More, Debian Unstable is not as unstable as its name might tell but,
yes, it requires you messing sometimes (read: maybe once every three
months) with the apt-get and vim. But is not such a big deal.

When I got a new laptop a few weeks ago to stick linux on (yay!), and was deciding on distro, I did read that thing about Deb unstable getting security updates slightly earlier than Deb testing.

Personally, I ended up opting for Deb testing anyway because the "cooldown period" of a few days (for non-security releases) was very appealing to me. Sort of a minor little mini-guardrail between me and the bleeding edge. Y'know - just in case. And TBH, as big a deal as security is, I'm even more concerned about system instability anyway (not that I don't trust Deb "unstable" to still be reasonably stable, I'm sure it is). But that's just me.

Anyway, since Deb testing does apparently still have a "fast track" for major security fixes (via umm..."testing-updates" IIRC), even if it isn't *as* prompt as Deb unstable, that pretty much clinched the deal for me ;).

FWIW.

It's my first experience with rolling-release, so we'll see how it goes, but so far so good.

So far the biggest irritation is just simply the lack of TortoiseGit and *good* integration between BeyondCompare and Dolphin. But of course, that has nothing to do with choosing deb testing ;) A few other rough edges (to be expected), but man am I loving a lot of things about finally jumping to linux as a primary system after a full 20 *mostly* good years of windows. (Aside from a couple admittedly great, but minor, improvements - Win 8/8.1 is *HORRID*. And that's not even the one that finally pushed me away anyway - two years of Win7 and I was "Ok, that's freaking it, I NEED day-to-day linux now, fuck the new post-XP MS, can't take anymore of this goofy straightjacketed Apple-wannabe crap.")

Wow, sorry for the rambling, didn't really mean to venture so far with all that ;)

Anyway, yea. Linux distros. Lots of info about them :)