On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 15:57:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 3/29/15 4:43 AM, "Marc =?UTF-8?B?U2Now7x0eiI=?= <schue...@gmx.net>" wrote:
On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 08:37:54 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
On Saturday, 28 March 2015 at 18:47:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/28/2015 3:20 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
Personally, I'm not sure that much is gained in pitting Go against D precisely because they're so different that they're likely to appeal to
completely different sets of people.

I also do not regard Go as a competitor to D. It's more of a
competitor to Java and Ruby.

How is Go a competitor to Ruby? I cannot think of a single parameter where Go and Ruby don't take the exact opposite approach!(other than the obvious ones like "both use require the programmer to write code")

I think it's more of a competitor to Rails. Ruby as a language is as you say very different from Go. Incidentally, it shows that it is possible
to make a language simple without crippling it.

... but efficiency. Ruby is 50 times slower than all languages, including itself.

Andrei

Not to mention orthogonal safety. Even for a dynamically typed scripting language Ruby sacrifices a lot of safety. Not memory-wise but orthogonality-wise - it's design is very hackish, and you can remove an import("require") to foo.rb from bar.rb thus causing a bug in baz.rb that was importing bar.rb and thus indirectly importing qux.rb because foo.rb was importing it, and qux.rb is monkey-patching class Qux to override some method to return a different value. Have fun trying to debug this!

Computer science is all about tradeoffs. I used to love Ruby, but then a Rails project got out of hand... Nowadays I use it mainly as a bash replacement - Hundredfolds more expressive, only a tiny tiny bit syntax overhead, and for things that bash's safety would be enough Ruby's certainly suffices.
              • R... cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... weaselcat via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Gary Willo... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Gary Willoughby: "... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce