On Monday, 21 September 2015 at 04:22:30 UTC, Paul O'Neil wrote:
As the title says, cpp_binder is a tool that generates C++ bindings. It reads C++ headers and produces a D file filled with "extern(C++)" declarations. It can translate a bunch of cool, small examples, but is not close to being ready for prime-time. It crashes a lot, especially in the STL; since the STL is pretty pervasive, I have not successfully used cpp_binder on an actual C++ library.

I've written more about cpp_binder and my experiences at http://www.todayman.net/cpp_binder-pre-announcement-and-status.html.

The code is available at https://github.com/todayman/cpp_binder . cpp_binder still dumps lots of debugging info to stdout and stderr, so you'll probably want to redirect those somewhere beesides your console.

I hope that this post will spur discussion / decisions / action binding C++ libraries into D. I think the language capabilities (e.g. extern(C++, namespace)) get really far and that the next big push needs to be on binding real libraries and tools to help.

This strikes as a most needed project. How come it crashes a lot ? Glancing quickly at the source, it looks like it is using clang as a source of C++ truth.

If you can make it work on the STL, that would be a significant step forward for D. I'm very serious.