On Friday, 30 October 2015 at 06:29:42 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
On 10/29/2015 08:59 PM, Joakim wrote:

> it's very easy to set up a bitcoin address to receive
donations

I really appreciate it but... I am embarrassed to reveal that I don't want to have bitcoins. :) I can't explain this rationally; perhaps I was bitten by a coin in the dark when I was a young child; I don't know... The feeling is very similar to my not wanting to be on LinkedIn, Facebook, and other similar things. :)

I can understand not wanting to be on any of those social networks: I have never joined a social network, including twitter, and don't read, let alone register with, any of the link-sharing sites, like reddit, with the rare exception of a D-related link in the forum. If a blog or forum requires a facebook/google/twitter login, anything more than an email address, I don't comment. I resisted joining github till I had to in order to contribute to D.

But I don't see how bitcoin is similar to any of those, perhaps you have _some_ explanation? You don't have to keep the bitcoin, all those sites will buy your bitcoin with dollars anytime you want. It's just an open way to trade value- in your case, just another payment/donation method- I don't see the issue. If it required setting up a bunch of software, sure, but those websites make it easy to set up, as they run the client for you.
  • "Programming in D&quo... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: "Programming... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: "Program... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: "Pro... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: "... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce