On Monday, 13 June 2016 at 20:12:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 6/12/2016 4:27 PM, Jason White wrote:
I don't understand this dependency-phobia.

It's the "first 5 minutes" thing. Every hiccup there costs us maybe half the people who just want to try it out.

The makefiles, especially posix.mak, have grown into horrific snarls of who-knows-what-is-happening.

I had a minor rant about this at DConf. The makefiles are the major reason I haven't contributed to the core D projects.

They'd be a hell of a lot simpler if everything that isn't building an executable (and isn't idempotent) got ripped out. No downloading compilers, no cloning/updating repos, etc, etc. Having a pushbutton process for installing/bootstrapping is cool, but that stuff is better off in scripts.