On Sunday, 28 August 2016 at 06:28:35 UTC, NVolcz wrote:
On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 09:31:44 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta wrote:
Hi!

I'm pleased to announce that my GSoC project, a replacement for the outdated std.xml, is now a Phobos PR! [1] It is an (almost complete) mirror of my repository [2], which is also available on DUB [3].

I would like to thank my mentor Robert burner Schadek for his great support and everybody who already gave some feedback during these months.

The PR is not meant for immediate merging. Some things still need improvement (docs/unittests/...) while others will come in a second iteration (advanced DTD handling). It is meant to for some reviews, focusing mainly on the design and usability of the library.

In the PR description you will find all the details, including a nice "wishlist" of things that I found missing in D during the development and some open questions.

So, if you have any consideration/suggestion, drop a line here or on the PR, and if you find bugs, don't hesitate to file an issue on the issue tracker of my repository.

Thank you very much!

[1] https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4741
[2] https://github.com/lodo1995/experimental.xml
[3] https://code.dlang.org/packages/std-experimental-xml

I like the new cursor API very much since it enables new use cases that are were hard to do with the old API. Thanks for your hard work!

Examples are a bit scares. I like the way Phobos documents every functions with an unittest/example. I'm all for that!

Another thing I encountered some days ago was that the default error handler is using asserts to signal error. https://github.com/lodo1995/experimental.xml/issues/30 It is not obvious from the API that you're required to have a error handler.
Two ideas:
Use exceptions instead of asserts. This way it is recoverable in the default use case.
Require a error handler in the constructor.

Examples still sucks. Hard to start use lib.