On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 02:35:46 UTC, Meta wrote:

D1 -> D2 nearly killed D (can't remember which, but it was either Walter or Andrei that have said this on multiple occasions). A D2 -> D3 transition might generate a lot of publicity if done very carefully, but more than likely it would just put the nails in the coffin for good and destroy all the momentum D has built up over the past 3 years (I feel like 2015 was a big turning point where D finally got back on peoples' radars).

I've read a bit about that history, but really, sometimes you have to be agressive with change or just it won't come about.

And I don't see how D2 could have come about without an agressive push for change.

And it's unlikely that D would have died. Some people might have left (and probably did). But D is better because it's D2.

Imagine promoting D1 to the world!

D3 could be even better. (e.g. @safe by default..just for starters).

And I personally think all this ongoing integration with C and C++ is not ideal. It's creating a really complex beast, that has to be maintained indefinitely... by someone.

So I'd like to see D3 dump all the compatibility crap ;-)