On Friday, 2 March 2018 at 13:05:58 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

Science, in and of itself, cannot be dodgy.

science must involve humans, and humans are often dodgy.

Yes there are debates to be had, cf. Popper, Kuhn, etc. but the foundation of science is hypotheses, experimentation, and reproducibility. It can be done badly or well by people, but it is not a dodgy thing.

there is no science without humans - they are two sides of the one coin.
If humans can be dodgy, so can science.

Perhaps you do not, but Rust, like Go, is getting traction in the world out there. Like COBOL, C will always be there, but its use will diminish rapidly.

Only when hardware becomes significantly faster, will C begin to fade, as then the case for C diminishes.

I do like the simplicity of Go - and then there are days when I just hate that simplicity. That R?s? thing...well...it is too odd for most people to embrace, I think

It is worth keeping an eye on .NET - as Microsoft are very determined to make this a cross platform runtime, and programming in C# is just .. nice.

And if I recall correctly, Java and .NET still dominate the employment opportunities, and as 'safety' is becoming even more and more important, I think that is likely to stay that way for a long time to come.

So I think all these new languages will just be playgrounds for ideas, or become domain specific languages, while .NET and JAVA use will continue to increase.