On 6/8/2018 2:34 PM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On 6/7/2018 10:01 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
And that is why it's a bad thing to build a walled garden around a code
repo, esp. when the underlying VCS is well capable of distributed
development.  If only there has been a standard protocol for
communicating such associated content, such as PR comments and
discussions, bugs and issues (this latter not applicable in our case,
thankfully), then we could have setup an archival system to retrieve and
store all of this information.  Unfortunately, AFAIK there isn't a way
to do this, and so if Github for whatever reason shuts down, all of this
valuable information would be lost forever.

Since I have (most) of the Github discussions in email form, I could do something like this if we had to:

https://digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/index.html

There's a program that runs over the NNTP database to generate the static pages:

https://github.com/DigitalMars/ngArchiver

Essentially (if not actually) everything on github is available through their api's. No need for scraping or other heroics to gather it.