On Thursday, 1 November 2018 at 03:18:44 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
On Monday, 29 October 2018 at 16:40:20 UTC, FooledDonor wrote:
On Monday, 29 October 2018 at 16:01:38 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
One of the easiest ways to support the D Language Foundation is using smile.amazon.com when you make a purchase. Until Nov 2, they're running a special where they're donating 5% (10 times the usual amount) you buy through AmazonSmile.

smile.amazon.com/ch/47-5352856

Perhaps a fundamental principle is not clear enough at the foundation: transparency.

Where is the vision of the third and fourth quarter? Where are the deliveries of things in the pipeline? What is the progress of the various jobs started?

Which people is funding, with how much money and for what expected results? Where is the newCTFE? Was the work on this point financed by the foundation?

I've never seen a report on the state of affairs, neither from the president, nor from Andrei, nor from Walter.

How do you hope to obtain trust and funding, if NO one even deigns to give the least development plan or feedback on past developments?

It seems that everyone has locked up in their ivory tower ...

It's kind of discouraging to see that your post, as well as another thread asking something similar regarding the vision document[1] have gone unanswered...

Maybe the people who could answer these things just don't see them, or maybe they're purposefully being quiet. It would be nice to know what's going on at the very least ;(

[1] https://forum.dlang.org/thread/qmwovarkjgvxyibsl...@forum.dlang.org

My guess, and this is purely a guess, is that they got discouraged by how few people paid attention to the Vision document or donated to the foundation on Opencollective and haven't bothered with this stuff since.

I think that's a mistake, as you may need to do this stuff for awhile before it picks up. In any case, I don't care that it isn't happening, as I always said that it's better to have decentralized bounties, like we had on bountysource, rather than centralized funding through the D Foundation.

Maybe the upcoming targeted campaigns will be a good middle ground, in that you will be able to directly contribute to specific targets:

https://dlang.org/blog/2018/07/13/funding-code-d/