On Thursday, 8 November 2018 at 04:16:44 UTC, Manu wrote:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 10:05 AM Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
[...]

"Indeed, a clean build of DMD itself (about 170’000 lines of D and 120’000 lines of C/C++) takes no longer than 4 seconds to build on a rather average developer machine."

...what!? DMD takes me... (compiling) ... 1 minute 40 seconds to build! And because DMD does all-files-at-once compilation, rather than separate compilation for each source file, whenever you change just one line in one file, you incur that entire build time, every time, because it can't just rebuild the one source file that changed. You also can't do multi-processor builds with all-in-one build strategies.

4 seconds? That's just untrue. D is actually kinda slow these days... In my experience it's slower than modern C++ compilers by quite a lot.

It sounds like you're not using "a rather average developer machine" then, as there's no way DMD should be that slow to build on a core i5 or better:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/rqukhkpxcvgiefrdc...@forum.dlang.org