On Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 09:49:14 UTC, Manu wrote:
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 1:25 AM Nicholas Wilson via We discussed and concluded that one mechanism to mitigate this issue was already readily available, and it's just that 'out' gains a much greater sense of identity (which is actually a positive side-effect if
you ask me!).
You have a stronger motivation to use 'out' appropriately, because it
can issue compile errors if you accidentally supply an rvalue.

True I forgot about that.

That doesn't address the specific `atomicIncrement` case here, but now
we're in VERY niche territory; we analysed a lot of cases, and
concluded that such cases were relatively few, and other choices exist
to mitigate those cases.
There are cases that want to do mutation to rvalues (like in pipeline functions), and then most cases can use 'out' instead. Remaining cases are quite hard to find, and in this particular case, I'd suggest that `atomicIncrement`, a very low-level implementation-detail function,
should just receive a pointer.

Probably.

Oh well, I'll add this to the long list of things to make sure is covered at dconf by the foundation.