On Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 09:49:14 UTC, Manu wrote:
We discussed and concluded that one mechanism to mitigate this issue was already readily available, and it's just that 'out' gains a much greater sense of identity (which is actually a positive side-effect if
you ask me!).
You have a stronger motivation to use 'out' appropriately, because it
can issue compile errors if you accidentally supply an rvalue.

`out` with current semantics cannot be used as drop-in replacement for shared in-/output ref params, as `out` params are default-initialized on entry. Ignoring backwards compatibility for a second, I think getting rid of that would actually be beneficial (most args are probably already default-initialized by the callee in the line above the call...) - and I'd prefer an explicitly required `out` at the call site (C# style), to make the side effect clearly visible.

I'd have otherwise proposed a `@noRVal` param UDA, but redefining `out` is too tempting indeed. ;)