On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 at 02:58:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 5/26/20 12:31 PM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
Currently a machine checked @safe function calling an unannotated extern C routine will error out during compilation. This is great as the C routine was not machine checked, and generally can not be checked.  Post 1028, IIUC, the compilation will go through without complaint.  This seems quite clear.  What am I missing?

If that's the case, it's the death of DIP 1028.

Walter has confirmed that this is indeed the case. As you can read a few posts up his response to my "What am I missing?" query was "Nothing at all."

Yes, it's really that bad.

Your help in undoing this mistake would be greatly appreciated by me and by the authors of, literally, hundreds of posts in this thread opposing the DIP.

  • Re: DIP 1028--Make @safe th... Rivet via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Safety audit and the overlo... Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Safety audit and t... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Safety audit a... Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Rationale ... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Ration... Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: R... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Robert M. Münch via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bruce Carneal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce