On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 12:28:16 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 09:21:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
He did unfortunately manage to convince Atila, so the DIP has been accepted, but based on the discussions, I think that you may be the only person I've seen say anything positive about the DIP treating extern(C) functions as @safe.

- Jonathan M Davis

I think Walter had to make a tough call with many tradeoffs. The defining feature of engineering I would say.

Is he wrong? Maybe, I don't know. The obvious path is far from always being a winner.

A winner for what. The reasoning given doesn't make sense. Lots of people have pointed that out, and Walter has yet to expand on that.

If it does come back to haunt him, he can always add a DIP to make extern(!D) @system by default. It won't invalidate any work.

That's worse. It'll cause huge breakage again if you need to convert extern(C) back to @system after it was converted to @safe. If @system by default proves to be a mistake, you can just flip it to @safe and it won't break any code. Why take a gamble on something that can't be rationalized?