On Monday, 19 October 2020 at 13:59:42 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Monday, 19 October 2020 at 13:43:14 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
I'm not suggesting that this fills the need of newbies, but there is this: https://dlang.org/install.html.

Nobody should ever follow those terrible instructions, they leave you so fragile in the event of future updates, takes superuser install access, and just generally scatters crap.

Are we looking at the same instructions? The ones I see at that URL don't require superuser access and install everything to a self-contained directory in the user's $HOME. It's pretty much exactly what you recommend, with a bit of extra automation.