On Tuesday, 20 October 2020 at 17:36:11 UTC, kinke wrote:
[snip]

See https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/1754. I personally never download the DMD installers, only the .7z. I also don't use a global PATH set up to point to a particular LDC installation. I expect the vast majority of Windows *devs* to prefer a simple download&unpack over some installer. Those wanting to click through setup steps can use the VisualD installer with bundled LDC.

I'm sympathetic to Ilya's concerns in that thread, but it would help to get empirical. What about a calculation of the number of unique downloads for DMD's Windows installer vs. those who download the .7z? The .7z probably has more downloads for CIs, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a larger share of people downloading the DMD installer than you think.

I also have a PATH set up to point to a particular LDC installation that I need to update whenever I upgrade LDC. It has caused me problems in the past when I forget to change it...

I don't recall ever using the VisualD installer to install LDC.