On 2020-11-12 20:00, bachmeier wrote:
On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:28:44 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:

Maybe these type of subset languages could be integrated in the D frontpage.

I hope not. That would create lots of problems:

- There are multiple versions of the language.
- What happens when a version dies? What do you tell the developers (perhaps even businesses) that relied on a version they downloaded from the official homepage that now have a dead version? - What if a developer makes weird changes (like removing int, which would still be a subset) or goes Windows-only because of the burden maintaining for multiple OSes? Is that something that should be promoted on the official homepage?

These are just the problems that immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Open source is wonderful because it lets things like this happen. That doesn't mean we want to promote them on dlang.org.

I wasn't clear before. The subset I was thinking about would only be supervisual; the basic-D documentation and tutorials would only touch those parts that would be part of the basic-D version. The underlying compiler would just be the normal dmd compiler, nothing changed.

I thik that within D there is a nice novice language lurking, but it is hidden by all the complex parts.