On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 12:27:56 UTC, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:

Just implementation deficiency. I think it is fixable with some refactoring of the GC pipeline. One approach would be, (similar to other language implementations - see below), that GC-allocated objects with destructors should be placed on a queue and their destructors be called when the GC has finished the collection. Afterwards, the GC can release their memory during the next collection.

As I understand, finalizers in D are run because the GC needs more memory *now*. Deferring release of memory until the next collection would defeat the purpose. We would need to decouple collection cycles from allocation. Am I missing something?