On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 02:13:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 01:19:01AM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote: [...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

How is using D "losing autonomy"? Unlike Java, D does not force you to use anything. You can write all-out GC code, you can write @nogc code (slap it on main() and your entire program will be guaranteed to be GC-free -- statically verified by the compiler). You can write functional-style code, and, thanks to metaprogramming, you can even use more obscure paradigms like declarative programming.

[...]

When languages are compared in grammar and semantics alone, you are fully correct.

Except we have this nasty thing called eco-system, where libraries, IDE tooling, OS, team mates, books, contractors, .... are also part of the comparisasion.

And in that regard it doesn't matter how great D is against C# 10, if C# 10 gets me 90% there with a legion of libraries, IDE tooling, OS, team mates, books,.... to help me getting there. Using C# version explicitly here, because since C# 7 the language has grown multiple features that used to be only on the D's side of the comparisasion.

Naturally C# 10 was only an example among several possible ones, that have a flowershing ecosytem and keep getting the features only D could brag about when Andrei's book came out 10 years ago.