On Wednesday, 9 February 2022 at 16:21:24 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
C++ is quite popular, but it is not the only popular language, and there are many D programmers who have never used C++ at all, let alone C++17 or later. Therefore, it is a mistake to assume that all or even most D programmers have already internalized "nodiscard", or indeed *any* particular word for this concept.

There is also the Nim "discard" statement. I wonder why noone stole that feature. Feels more natural to me speak about the error being avoided, than a vague statement like "must use". C++17 is the most used language in the native space, so yes I think it takes precedence in the minds of native programmers. But, it is a level of bikeshedding I'm not keen on entering.