On Wednesday, 9 February 2022 at 16:21:24 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 February 2022 at 14:30:30 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 19:57:28 UTC, forkit wrote:
First, I'm not 'insisting' on anything. I'm just expressing a view.

nodiscard is already used by more programmers that D is likely to ever adopt.

Indeed, it's these programmers that D is trying to adopt.

I'm not sure forcing such people to adapt is necessarily the right approach.

I'll have to side with forkit there.

In audio software (at the very least) you pay very dearly the price of introducing new _words_, because the existing words embodies existing meaning and practice that users have internalized.

In D, there is no existing word for this, so from that perspective both "mustuse" and "nodiscard" are equally valid.

In other languages, there are multiple existing words:

- C++17: [[nodiscard]]
- C (gcc/clang): __attribute__((warn_unused_result))
- Rust: #[must_use]

C++17: [[nodiscard]] is just a warning; must use another compiler flag in order to have same @mustuse in D -> already discrepancy in meaning