On Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:58:28 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
You can disprove this to yourself by just talking to it. Have a chat, have it explain what it was going for. Doesn't always work reliably, but that there's *no* understanding there is easily disproven.

I don't know whether images can be used here, so just a text quote of ChatGPT 4o:

- Human brain weights about 1400 grams. Hamster brain weights about 1.4 grams. How many hamsters are needed to create one human brain? - To determine how many hamsters' brains would equal the weight of one human brain, you can divide the weight of a human brain by the weight of a hamster brain: [weight calculations here]. So, it would take 1,000 hamsters' brains to match the weight of one human brain.

It's completely obvious how there is no understanding of context at all. It just matches a simple weight calculation pattern and completely ignores a clear context of an actual question that asks something else. You can imagine the effect of such "off-topic" somewhere deep in the complex generated code. I wouldn't trust this to write any code that is not triple-checked by real programmers afterwards...