On Friday, 1 January 2021 at 16:45:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
I don't know anything about any official positions other than the fact that Walter dislikes having more than one pointer type and is working on some kind of "liveness" verification for a C-style free/malloc regime, which is rather rare in other languages these days. Not really sure how that fits with modern code bases.

Isn't there some work on move-semantics to make C++ interfacing better? But shared_ptr is only for C++ interop, perhaps? Or is it meant for D-code?

To me it looks like things are a bit up-in-the-air at the moment.

Unsurprising answers unfortunately :(

As for the move-semantics, I know that DIP 1014 was accepted, but I don't know anything beyond that (haven't really looked into it at all tbh).

And well, having many options that are incompatible would not be good for library interop, so choices have to be made to avoid "tower of Babel".

This is a concern of mine, especially when D touts about the GC being optional, but I do have doubts about any ground being made on this front, either in discussions, decisions, or implementations, within the next year or two.

Meanwhile I believe C++ (keep in mind I very rarely touch or look at C++) already has a standard allocator interface that parts of the STL (and I assume libraries, when/if they care) are able to use? I'm unaware of the issues it might have in C++, but that's mostly because of my lack of use and knowledge of the language. It has standard pointer types, etc.

I wonder what problems D faces in comparison to C++ and other languages in this regard, since it's been in a limbo, fragmented state for a while now.
              • Re:... Imperatorn via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... RSY via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... SealabJaster via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... SealabJaster via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Imperatorn via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re:... Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d-learn
  • Re: C++ or D? Imperatorn via Digitalmars-d-learn