On 5/3/21 11:04 AM, jmh530 wrote:
On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 18:36:25 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
[snip]

BTW during the PR review the problem you encounter [was anticipated](https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12178#issuecomment-773886263) si I guess you're stuck with [the author answer](https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12178#issuecomment-773902749), i.e "this worked because of a special case".
[snip]

"this worked because of a special case" or "I'm sure they won't mind a bit of change" are not exactly the most fulfilling arguments to me. Don't we have transition switches for a reason?

The other solution is to keep the special case and then add additional logic to handle when the thing being looked up is not public (or whatever).

Yeah, I think the situation with top-level modules and package names is kind of an elephant in the room. If you have any packages which have top-level modules, you have lots of weird corner cases (even before this change) that make things difficult.

IMO, we should address this at a design level. What that means, I'm not sure. At any point alias is going to throw a monkey wrench into anything we could come up with. But it should be at least possible to keep existing code compiling.

-Steve