On 05/02/2023 10:01 PM, Tamas wrote:
On the surface, betterC seems to be perfect for this case. How would YOU do it (Adam, Richard)?

BtW, gstreamer also has D bindings, and maybe in the future I'll use those. I suspect that Adam's suggestions have a stronger relevance to that case, right?

So LDC with druntime and yes GC turned on is good enough right now that you can probably make it work without too much effort. You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to -betterC.

In fact if you don't, you have access to PyD[0] which can handle the interop stuff for you. I haven't personally used it, but it might work for your use case :)

The main thing is no matter what flags you pass, you'll need to be careful about memory ownership between the language divide and the ownership therein. You have already got a hang of that though from the C version! Just gotta be extra careful with GC memory that its pinned on the D side and won't get free'd elsewhere.

But yeah if you can avoid having to create bindings for stuff (such as glib which we have bindings for), or wrappers ext. do so. That way you can do more of the fun things!

[0] https://github.com/ariovistus/pyd
        • Re:... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
  • Re: betterC DLL ... Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: betterC... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: bet... Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re:... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • ... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn
            • ... Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • ... Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn
            • ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
            • ... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... Tamas via Digitalmars-d-learn
  • Re: betterC DLL ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn