On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 08:47:42 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole wrote:
On 25/02/2023 9:45 PM, Daren Scot Wilson wrote:
I went with readline.  Left/right arrows work, but up arrow still does not recall earlier commands. Maybe I need also a separate input history thing?

https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/readline.html#Basic-Behavior

Hmm... the add_history(), or maybe it's rl_add_history(), function seems to have been in ancient readline versions but at some point all line history code was taken out to be its own library.

https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html
https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/history.html

Arch Linux drags in both readline.so and history.so in its readline package. No one notices!

Trying import gnu.history; fails since there's no distinct 'history' package (yet) and Dub doesn't drag it in along with readline.

D can call C and link to anything in /usr/lib easily. Done. It works! How does D know to link to the libhistory.so library? I didn't say "history" anywhere. But it works.

    extern (C) {
        void add_history(const char*);
    }

I'm tempted to make a history package and submit it to DUB. Maybe. After dinner...
  • stdin.readln lin... Daren Scot Wilson via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: stdin.r... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: std... Daren Scot Wilson via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re:... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • ... Daren Scot Wilson via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re:... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn