On Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:18:48 UTC, Dukc wrote:
Lance Bachmeier kirjoitti 13.6.2024 klo 1.32:

Why would it be different from calling malloc and free manually? I guess I'm not understanding, because you put the same calls to malloc and free that you'd otherwise be doing inside this and ~this.

Because with `SafeRefCounted`, you have to decide the size of your allocations at compile time, meaning you need to do a varying number of `malloc`s and `free`s to vary the size of your allocation at runtime. Even if you were to use templates to vary the type of `SafeRefCounted` object based on size of your allocation, the spec puts an upper bound of 16MiB to size of a static array.

We must be talking about different things. You could, for instance, call a function in a C library to allocate memory at runtime. That function returns a pointer and you pass it to SafeRefCounted to ensure it gets freed. Nothing is known about the allocation at compile time. This is in fact my primary use case - allocating an opaque struct allocated by a C library, and not wanting to concern myself with freeing it when I'm done with it.