"Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message
news:iq6159$q3q$1...@digitalmars.com...
> "Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message
>>
>> I downloaded 4.2 (picked pretty much at random), installed it in
>> VirtualBox, compiled a trivial test C program in the included GCC,
>> uploaded that to the server, and it worked! :)
>>

> Actually, I did have to remove the HTTP status code output from my little
> hello world cgi test in forder for Apache to not throw up a 500. That kind
> of surprised me, actually. But maybe it just means it's been far too long
> since I've done CGI... *shrug*

If anyone's curious, I did get a basic D cgi app to work, too (ie, Compiling
on CentOS 4.2 in a VM and uploading to my shared host server), but I had to:

1. Recompile DMD (Because the precompiled DMD would immediately quit with a
"Floating point exception" message, even if called with zero args).

2. Remove "-L--no-warn-search-mismatch" (Because otherwise, when it tried to
link, the GCC in CentOS 4.2 would error out and complain that wasn't a valid
switch.)

As a little bonus, the C test app I compiled in the CentOS 4.2 VM also ran
fine on my physical Kubuntu 10.04 box. Although the D one segfaulted. No big
deal deal though, it's easy enough to compile on that box.

The only problem I'm having now (aside from the fact that I haven't
attempted to deal with the other shared host server yet - the debian one
from the horrible ipower company), is that CentOS 4.2 (or maybe it's just
KDE) runs so slow in a VM that it frequently doesn't recognize when I let go
of a key and so then it goes off doing crazy shit. :/  Or it'll swap my key
presses if I type too fast. At one point I had a hell of a time just getting
it to let me type in "cd dmd" correctly. (I don't think it's entirely
because of my computer though. XP runs just fine in a VM for me, even with
only 192MB RAM allocated to it instead of the 512MB given to CentOS 4.2) So
I'm going to try putting CentOS 4.9 in a VM and replacing KDE with XFCE. And
I'll also have VirtualBox enable 3D accel and see if maybe then the
"VirtualBox Guest Additions" package will be able to use OpenGL.