On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 01:33:10 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
DMD runs just fine on 64-bit Windows.
Then why "32 bit Windows (Win32) operating system, such as Windows XP" is put as a requirement? This should be corrected: http://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html

Anyway, in the mean time I have setup GDC using the latest binaries, and it is working well.

The only thing I noticed is that a simple "Hello World" took several seconds to compile, and ended up with 1.25MB (release, non-debug build)! And I thought that D was fast to compile... But then I discovered that switching to std.c.stdio made the compilation almost instantaneous, and the executable size a slightly more reasonable 408KB. It works, but that isn't really an option, as D strings aren't readily compatible with C strings...

I know that the lower limiter in binary size is higher, due to the statically compiled runtime, but this "bloat" in the std lib for a single function worries me a bit. Is DMD better in this measurement, or is it a limitation of the current D libraries?

This may be kinda important latter, as in compression benchmarks, the decompressor size is added in the compressed size to prevent cheating. I don't want a multi-megabyte executable size.