On Sunday, 15 April 2012 at 03:41:55 UTC, jerro wrote:
(I have a memory of a program that took
~0.004s with a C/C++ version and 1s with D, and the difference seemed to be just startup time for the D program.)

I have never seen anything like that. Usually the minimal time to run a D program is something like:

j@debian:~$ time ./hello
Hello world!

real    0m0.001s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

What really amazes me is the difference between g++, DMD and GDC in size of the executable binary. 100 orders of magnitude!

With GDC those flags(for gdmd):

-fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -L--gc-sections -L-l

help a lot if you want to reduce a size of executable. Besides, this overhead is the standard library and runtime and won't be much larger in larger programs.

The last flag should be -L-s