On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:49:50 -0400, Jay Norwood <j...@prismnet.com> wrote:

On Monday, 23 April 2012 at 11:27:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

I think using std.string.icmp is the best solution. I would expect it to outperform even schwartz sort.

-Steve

icmp took longer... added about 1 sec vs  0.3 sec (for
schwartzSort ) to the program execution time.

bool myComp(string x, string y) { return std.string.icmp(x,y)<0; }
std.algorithm.sort!(myComp)(dirs);

finished! time:1396 ms

Well, that's surprising :) Perhaps there's some room for improvement in icmp or std.uni.toLower. There may be some constructs that are preventing inlining (enforce is the worst offender).

While dealing with unicode in my std.stream rewrite, I've found that hand-decoding dchars is way faster than using library calls.

-Steve