On 2013-55-08 09:01, monarch_dodra <monarchdo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sometimes (especially in phobos), one defines a parametrized template, that resolves to a templated function.

This is a nifty trick, because it allows specifying a vararg before the current type parameter, eg:

//----
auto r = [1, 2, 3];
auto m = map!("++a", "--a")(r);
//----

As you can see, the template guessed the type of r, even though we used a vararg. This would not have worked with a single template function.

My question though: I have a similar use case, but I NEED to be able to explicitly specify the type of r: as such:

//----
auto m = fun!("++a", "--a", ubyte)(1);
auto m = fun!("++a", "--a")!(ubyte)(1);
auto m = fun!("++a", "--a").fun!ubyte(1);
//----
None of them work. In this specific case, I *need* to specify that 1 is of type ubyte, but I really can't do it :/

Simplified example: in my use case, it is a "immutable(int[])": Failure to specify the type means the compiler strips tail immutability...

The only workaround I can find to make such a thing, is to *not* use eponymous temples, and explicitly call an inner function. This is ugly as sin, and it makes specifying the internal parameter mandatory.

Any thoughts?

A non-eponymous template is currently the only way to do this. Strangely, this works:

  alias fun2 = fun!("++a", "--a");
  auto m = fun2!(ubyte)(1);

--
Simen