On Saturday, 2 February 2013 at 22:39:58 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Saturday, 2 February 2013 at 22:15:56 UTC, Namespace wrote:
My real question was: will we ever have fixed size arrays at runtime?

I see no reason why we couldn't, the only problem is a syntax one. If you beat the syntax (by wrapping it in a struct) then you can do it no problem:

//----
T[N]* makeFixed(size_t N, T)()
{
    static struct Fixed
    {
        T[N] a;
    }
    auto p = new Fixed();
    return &((*p).a);
}

void main()
{
   int[4]* p4 = makeFixed!(4, int)();
}
//----

And there, a dynamically allocated fixed size array. I know it's not pretty, but it proves the point.

Sure and as I said: something like that I'm using currently. It is very ugly and because of that I asked for a built in solution, like new ubyte[size].
C have also runtime fixed size arrays.
But as far as I can see all your are fine with the wrapped struct solution.