On 03/02/2013 13:22, bearophile wrote:
Era Scarecrow:

On Sunday, 3 February 2013 at 09:11:59 UTC, Namespace wrote:
Sure, but alloca has the same ugly interface as malloc. :/

 You mean that you have to specify how many raw bytes you want, then
cast it to what you need? I never thought alloca or malloc were that
ugly.

The interface of alloca() is bug-prone. And it's not handy if you want
to create a 2D or nD array on the stack :-) In bugzilla there is a
preliminary request for better and less bug-prone VLAs for D.

^ I know you're aware of this, but maybe others might not know the default-argument alloca wrapping trick:

import std.stdio;
import core.stdc.stdlib:alloca;

T *stack(T)(void* m = alloca(T.sizeof))
{
    return cast(T*)m;
}

void main(string[] args)
{
    auto i = stack!int();
    *i = 5;
    writeln(*i);
    writeln(i);
    int j;
    writeln(&j);
}

More advanced behaviour e.g. switching to heap allocation for large sizes of T may be possible.